In this episode we discuss what really happens during a recount, and then try to give at least some explanation for what happened with political polling this year and why very few were predicting a victory for Donald Trump.
Segment #1 – Recounts
- What does a recount mean?
- What does the process look like?
- What is unique about these recounts in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania?
Segment #2 What Went Wrong With The Polls?
- Where were the polls wrong? Why were they wrong?
- Was the problem more with the idea of modeling/forecasting, rather than the polling itself?
Segment #3 How to Fix The Polls
- What is the solution?
- How much longer will telephone-only surveys be viable?
- Recap the issues with online sample/panels?
We try really hard to get feedback from you our listeners about past shows and suggestions for topics to cover in future episodes. To do that you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or send us a tweet, our Twitter handle is @smartpolitics77. We really look forward to hearing from you so please don’t hesitate to bug us.